The John Thelwall Society is the first international society dedicated to the study of the late-eighteenth-century enlightenment polymath, John Thelwall—radical republican orator and writer, democratic reformer, poet, playwright, novelist, historian and speech therapist.
The Society will endeavour to:
- Promote public knowledge, understanding and enjoyment of John Thelwall’s life, ideals and accomplishments.
- Follow the example of John Thelwall in informing and educating those who campaign for a democratic polity and the global advancement of human rights and civil liberties.
- Maintain a publicly accessible website to advance knowledge, benefit and enjoyment of John Thelwall’s life, works and times.
- Hold conferences and other educational events, open to and accessible by everyone, to enhance understanding of John Thelwall’s achievements and their significance for the present age.
- Develop a listing of primary sources related to John Thelwall.
- Secure newly discovered and newly available primary sources relevant to John Thelwall, making these available as educational resources for the benefit of everyone.